Saturday, November 24, 2012

Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn



I resisted this book for months, after hearing from one, then another trusted reader that it was  worth reading.  No, said I, I really don't like books with unreliable narrators, as this has been described in reviews (it seems to be one of this year's fashions).
Then I gave up and read the first page.  And several days later I finished it, and found that I had thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.
The characters are not lovely. In fact, they are, most of them, rather nasty.
 The writing is workmanlike but not persuasive.  I couldn't put it down.  Mostly, I wanted to see how the author would peel another layer from the onion and turn our expectations around.
Loved it.  You will, too, most likely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home